New playbook launched to step up construction sector productivity & innovation
Posted: 8th December 2020
New plans on how government will work with the construction sector to make sure public sector works are delivered faster, better and greener have been launched today.
In 2018, public sector works contributed some £117 billion to the UK economy, as well as supporting over two million jobs.
The Construction Playbook, launched today, outlines what government expects from these works, from new roads and railway lines to schools, hospitals and prisons.
The Playbook also outlines the key role the construction sector will play in both the UK’s recovery from the coronavirus pandemic and work to bring greenhouse gas emissions down to net zero by 2050. Green initiatives in the Playbook include promoting the use of carbon assessments to understand and minimise the greenhouse emissions of projects.
Other specific measures include:
- Providing greater certainty to industry through long term plans for key programmes. This will include longer term contracting across a range of areas which will give industry the certainty required to invest in new technologies, delivering improved productivity and efficiency savings
- Incentivising industry to innovate by focusing on the output of what we want a project to achieve, rather than micromanaging how it is done
- Modernising construction by standardising designs and parts, as well as embedding digital technologies including the UK Building Information Management Framework
- Greater focus on building positive relationships with robust contract management between project leads and industry
- Investing more in training and apprenticeships, driving forward innovation in construction, boost productivity and focus on value for money in public sector developments
Learning lessons from the Grenfell Tower tragedy, the Construction Playbook also makes it clear that the construction sector must put safety at the heart of everything it does.
Cabinet Office Minister Lord Agnew, said: "As the largest construction sector customer, government is in an ideal position to ensure that the industry is productive, professional and delivers value for money for taxpayers.By adopting the new Construction Playbook, developed with industry partners, we will help ensure that the sector becomes greener and more innovative."
For more details of the Construction Playbook visit here
Share this story:
Telephone: 020 7399 7400